CMS launches public sessions on boundaries, magnets and construction this week
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools will bring the public up to speed on the district's latest long-term plans for school construction, boundaries and magnet programs this week, starting with a Wednesday night session at North Mecklenburg High.
The decisions by CMS will set attendance boundaries for many schools and guide potentially billions of dollars in new school facilities construction. Here's the district's timeline:
- The sessions will run through Feb. 8.
- Public feedback will be relayed to Interim Superintendent Crystal Hill before she makes recommendations to the school board on Feb. 14.
- The board plans to hold a public hearing and vote on Feb. 28.
The district already held one round of public discussions in the fall, and has released a list of 125 potential construction projects that would cost just over $5 billion. The school board will decide which projects to present to county commissioners and voters in a request for a November bond referendum.
SUPPORT LOCAL NEWS
As a nonprofit newsroom, WFAE relies on readers like you to make stories like this possible. Our local reporting is vital to the health of our communities and our democracy, but we can’t do this without you. Please consider supporting our journalism by contributing as little as $10 today.
Here's a full list of the upcoming meetings, including links to virtual sessions:
- Wednesday, Jan. 18 at 7 pm - North Mecklenburg High School
- Thursday, Jan. 19 at noon pm - Virtual: https://cms-k12-nc-us.zoom.us/j/98647144117?pwd=M1A1WGw2MkNDL0lFQVQrWjdRd3VSZz09
- Thursday, Jan. 19 at 6 pm - Garinger High School
- Wednesday Jan. 25 at 6 pm - Northwest School of the Arts
- Thursday. 26 at noon - Virtual: https://cms-k12-nc-us.zoom.us/j/98647144117?pwd=M1A1WGw2MkNDL0lFQVQrWjdRd3VSZz09
- Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 6 pm - South Mecklenburg High School
- Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 6 pm - East Mecklenburg High School
- Thursday, Feb. 2 at noon - Virtual: https://cms-k12-nc-us.zoom.us/j/96656655520?pwd=WGlncjZLcWluQmhqWTYxa0JHNDVmUT09
- Thursday, Feb. 2 at 6 pm - Virtual: https://cms-k12-nc-us.zoom.us/j/94754792037?pwd=TEVyYnl1QUhqeWs3c0U4OEVUWXdNQT09
- Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 6 pm - Charlotte East Language Academy (Presented in Spanish)