Smoke Alarm Saves 3 Children In Gastonia Fire
Officials say a working smoke alarm helped saved three children found alone at a Gastonia home that caught fire Wednesday.
Fire officials say a 14-year-old, a child a little younger, and an infant were at the home on Baker Boulevard in northwest Gastonia when a fire started on a stovetop early Wednesday morning. News outlets report the children escaped without injury, but a dog in the home died as a result of the blaze.
Capt. Michael Carpenter with the Gastonia Fire Department says the fact that they were alerted by the smoke detector and able to get out saved their lives.
Officials say the fire did about $15,000 in damage, but the home is still livable. Police and social services are investigating.