© 2021 WFAE
90.7 Charlotte 93.7 Southern Pines 90.3 Hickory 106.1 Laurinburg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Local News

Victim Of Oct. 21 Charlotte Shooting Dies; Man Charged With Murder

kehlan_johnson.jpg
MECKLENBURG COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE

Police say a man who was shot Oct. 21 in Charlotte has died and they've charged his alleged assailant with murder.

Kehlan Johnson, 41, is accused of shooting 20-year-old Darnel Mills about 9:20 a.m. Oct. 21 near the 4800 block of East W.T. Harris Boulevard. Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said Wednesday that Mills, who was taken to Carolinas Medical Center after the shooting, has died.

Mills was found wounded next to a car.

Johnson had already been arrested in the case, and an attempted murder charge has now been upgraded to murder.

Police said Mills had been a passenger in the car before he was shot. Johnson was also in the car, and he allegedly ran off after the shooting. He later met with police, where he was arrested after an interview with detectives.

There have been 94 homicides reported by CMPD this year – more than any other year since 1993.

CMPD released its third-quarter crime statistics earlier this month, and they showed violent crime was up 11% from the same period in 2018. 

CMPD is asking anyone with information on the case to call 704-432-8477.