If you somehow had a giant photo album of the last 40 years of fashion history, as you scrolled you would see one face over and over again, a head taller than most everybody else. That’s Andre Leon Talley.
He worked with Andy Warhol at the Factory in New York, he edited Vogue magazine, and he served as a judge on “America’s Next Top Model.” Now, in his late 60s, there’s a new documentary about his life called “The Gospel According to Andre.” And in the middle of all that, he has found time to curate an exhibit at the Mint Museum in Charlotte of fashion designed by his longtime friend Oscar de la Renta. We spoke in the museum gallery, surrounded by beautiful gowns. It did not take much to get Andre Leon Talley to talk.
- Trailer to the documentary "The Gospel According To Andre"
- The Oscar de la Renta exhibit Talley curated at the Mint Museum in Charlotte
- A great Vanity Fair profile of Talley from 2013
- A gallery of photos from the night Talley danced with Diana Ross at Studio 54 -- and remember, she didn't fall, he DIPPED her
Music From This Episode:
- French Provincial - Henry Mancini & His Orchestra
- One Size Fits All - Leggo Beast
- Another Term For - Miwon
Where to Listen:
SouthBound is a production of WFAE. Our host is Tommy Tomlinson. Our producer is Nick de la Canal. Our web manager is Jennifer Lang. Our audience engagement producer is Joni Deutsch, and our theme music comes from Josh Turner.