Marcus King was playing clubs around the Carolinas before he was old enough to drive.
Now, at 24, he leads the Marcus King Band, taking his blend of rock, blues, country and soul all over the world. And he’s got a new solo record called “El Dorado” that was produced by Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys.
King has been open in the past about his issues with mental health, and how music helped him through tough times growing up in Greenville, South Carolina. Now the coronavirus has caused a new problem: What’s it like for a touring musician when you can’t go on the road?
Well, one thing he can do is play a song from us from home. Which he does.
Let's keep the conversation going. Who do you want to hear from next on the SouthBound podcast?
- The Marcus King Band's website
- A session from a vintage guitar shop when King was a teenager
- King playing with the Black Keys' Dan Auerbach, who produced King's new album "El Dorado"
- Playing the Grand Ole Opry in his eBay suit
Music in this episode:
- Marcus King, "Young Man's Dream"
- The Beatles, "I'm Only Sleeping"
- The Marcus King Band, "Goodbye Carolina"
- Marcus King, "Wildflowers and Wine" (live for SouthBound)
New episodes of SouthBound come out every other Wednesday. Subscribe: