Apply by sending resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Internship Description: You will work alongside fundraising professionals at WFAE, Charlotte’s NPR News Source, to raise funds for the organization’s mission: to provide journalism that informs, enriches, and inspires. Projects will include working with members and donors, event planning and management, social media and marketing efforts, grant writing, and learning the fundamentals of fundraising through Moves Management Principles. The intern will report to the Director of Development.
Timeline and Hours: Fall Semester 2020 , 5-10 hours per week, remote.
Desired Candidate: Community minded individual with excellent written and oral communication abilities and a keen desire to learn and understand non-profit fundraising management and skills. Candidate must provide their own laptop and internet connection. A love of public radio is preferred.
- Understanding of Moves Management fundraising principles
- Volunteer engagement, specifically young professionals
- Managing and working with a leadership committee
- Planning and coordinating virtual and potentially in-person events
- Grant writing and creating compelling solicitation letters
- Budget planning and management
- Relationship building
Overview of Key Projects and Responsibilities:
WFAE Generation Listen – Initiative to reach and engage Millennial and Gen Z listeners and donors
- Implement and assist in leading a volunteer leadership board comprised of community leaders ages 40 and younger.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of both in-person and virtual events to offer networking and enrichment opportunities including creating an event budget and event management timeline.
- Create and implement social media campaign to promote WFAE Generation Listen events and secure additional members and leadership donors in this age range.
- Actively research grant opportunities in the Charlotte community and beyond for potential funding sources.
- Work with grant writing team to draft and create compelling grant applications for various WFAE projects.
- Assist grant writing team to draft and create a detailed program budget for each grant application.
Development and Fundraising:
- Draft emails to be sent to major donors to provide unique and enriching information and personal touchpoint with each donor.
- Participate in outreach to donors
- Draft solicitation letters to be sent to donors to secure donations
- Assist in the creation of donor proposals for larger gifts for specific programs and funding needs
About WFAE: WFAE 90.7 is a major source of news and information for the Charlotte region and one of the country’s leading public radio stations. WFAE reaches over 200,000 listeners each week and offers a broad range of award-winning national, international, and regional news from National Public Radio (NPR), the BBC, Public Radio International, American Public Media and WFAE’s newsroom. WFAE produces a daily signature talk show, "Charlotte Talks," and a number of podcasts, including the national award winning “She Says” and local music spotlight “Amplifier.”
WFAE 90.7 is an independent, non-profit organization, licensed to the University Radio Foundation, Inc. with additional frequencies in Hickory (90.3FM), Laurinburg (106.1FM) and Southern Pines (93.7FM).
A more knowledgeable and engaged community grounded in our shared humanity.
Journalism that informs, enriches, and inspires.