WFAE Events Manager
WFAE is seeking an experienced event planner to oversee the planning and execution of high-profile revenue-generating events that connect WFAE programming and services with the greater Charlotte community.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for community service and for public radio. This position will require someone who is creative, detail oriented, has an entrepreneurial spirit, and is willing to roll up their sleeves to get a job done. This position will manage events from the planning stage through running the event and carrying out the post-event evaluation.
The events managed by this individual will play an integral role in the fundraising and community relations goals of WFAE. As such, candidates will need a minimum of five years of experience with high-profile fundraising events, including as an event lead. The ideal candidate will have significant experience with budgeting and expense control.
The role is primarily hands-on and often involves working with cross departmental stakeholders to ensure that multiple organizational goals are met. The ideal candidate for this role will also have experience building and managing board/volunteer committees for high profile event planning.
This position reports to WFAE’s Executive Director of Branding & Engagement and is part of the membership and marketing team.
Objectives of this Role
- Manage and lead the planning, organization, budgeting and execution of all key fundraising, cultivation and stewardship events, including, but not limited to, WFAE’s annual gala, festivals and conference events.
- Promote success of fundraising events by developing and managing thorough and accurate invitation and solicitation lists
- Coordinate closely with staff to develop and distribute branded internal and external communications to promote visibility of events including customization and personalization of invitations and solicitations
- Ensure accurate tracking of attendee lists, seating assignments, program listings, invoicing, etc.
- Develop tracking and reporting tools to effectively assess the overall profitability of events; prepare periodic progress reports for each event, including financial.
- Plan and manage event sponsorships; work with WFAE’s sponsorship team to meet needs of event sponsors
- Build and work with board/volunteer event planning committees
- Nurture and build relationships with vendors, venues, and other industry contacts to craft and implement creative and logistical aspects of all events
- Stay current, and often ahead of the curve, on event planning, design, and production trends, proactively identifying and solving operational challenges
- Ensure that events comply with legal, insurance, health and safety regulations at all times
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Work closely with Executive Director of Branding & Engagement, Community Relations Manager and others to set and meet goals for event revenue generation
- Ensure that WFAE sponsorship team has timely information about events and that event sponsors are recognized according to their support
- Coordinate with internal staff, clients/sponsors, vendors, and others to establish needs for events, and serve as liaison to senior staff and other key constituents (including WFAE board and donors) throughout the planning process
- Research resources, make site visits, and lead pre-event meetings when necessary to help staff make decisions about event design
- Plan and facilitate logistics for all events, including contract negotiations, guest lists, venue preparation, presentation materials, security, catering, entertainment, transportation, equipment, decor, and marketing materials
- Oversee client experiences from conception through post-event, managing on-site preparations, production, and event breakdown, ensuring consistent, high-level service throughout all phases
- Maintain and build a comprehensive database of industry contacts, vendors, and venues
- Troubleshoot and handle any issues that arise on the event day
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven success as an event planner or coordinator
- Track record of meeting revenue targets for events
- Experience working with event sponsorships
- Experience working with non-profit board/volunteer committees
- Experience with philanthropic events
- Experience with event ticketing programs/best practices
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience planning high-profile gala events
- Experience in maintaining and building enriching business relationships
- Excellent organizational skills, including multitasking, time management, and attention to detail
- Minimum 5 years experience in event management or a related discipline
- Experience in marketing and/or public relations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office/applicable event planning systems
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
If you are confident that you can meet the goals of this job and have most but not all of the skills listed, we encourage you to still apply.
Submit your application.
In a Nutshell
WFAE, the NPR station in Charlotte, is an award-winning multiplatform newsroom (radio, digital, podcasts, live events) committed to providing high-quality local news and engagement that meets the needs of our diverse community. Our mission is to deliver journalism that informs, engages and inspires. Our vision is to help create a more knowledgeable and engaged community grounded in our shared humanity.
Annual Budget: $7.4M
Our Story: View
- 425% growth in digital audience over the last five years
- 71% increase in membership revenue over the last five years
- 50% growth in corporate sponsorship over the last five years
WFAE offers a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
Across WFAE, we strive to:
- Exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust.
- Serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence.
- Be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public.
- Succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration.
- Include diverse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work.
- Value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor.
- Be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission.
- Enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.
Submit your application.