© 2021 WFAE
90.7 Charlotte 93.7 Southern Pines 90.3 Hickory 106.1 Laurinburg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Charlotte Area News

Family Of Boy Who Died Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning At Boone Hotel Settles Lawsuit

The family of an 11-year-old Rock Hill boy who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a Best Western in Boone has agreed to settle wrongful death and injury lawsuits against the hotel chain and other parties.  According to the Charlotte Observer, the family's attorneys say the the settlement totals $12 million. 

Jeffrey Williams died after carbon monoxide leaked into the room where he and his mother were staying from a faulty swimming pool heating system below the room.  His mother suffered serious injuries. Several weeks earlier, Daryl and Shirley Jenkins, who were visiting from Washington state, also died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the same room.  Their death was not immediately tied to carbon monoxide. The family of the Jenkins has also filed wrongful death lawsuits against Best Western International, the hotel’s former manager, and companies who worked on the swimming pool heating system.