Flood Assistance Center to Stay Open Indefinitely in Charlotte
Nearly a month after flooding damaged homes and displaced hundreds in Charlotte, officials say victims are still turning up at disaster assistance centers seeking help. Charlotte-Mecklenburg officials estimate 600 families suffered damages to their homes and property during flooding from Tropical Storm Fay in last August. Emergency shelters are no longer open, but state and federal officials announced today they will keep their financial assistance center on North College Street open indefinitely. "This is to assist people with financial relief, says Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services Director Dave Canaan. "We can help them with possibly getting a low-interest loan from the federal government, or a grant from the state government." Canaan says only a third of the families that lost homes and property in the flooding have so far come to the center seeking financial aid. He hopes more will make the effort with the center open 9 to 6 weekdays beginning Monday. In the case of state-funded disaster grants, Canaan says flood victims only have until October 6th to apply. Today is also the last day former residents of the flooded Cavalier Apartments can remove any personal belongings before the building is closed permanently.