Two More Deaths From Subtropical Storm Alberto
Heavy rainfall from Subtropical Storm Alberto is the cause of two more deaths as two Boone residents were killed after a mudslide triggered a gas leak that leveled their home.
Boone Fire Department responded to the scene Wednesday afternoon in an attempt to clear the “catastrophic destruction” caused by the incident. The flash flood watch in the area has been extended until Friday morning.
Earlier this week, two TV journalists were killed when a tree fell on their station vehicle when covering Alberto in western North Carolina.
The storm has caused several road closings as a result of flooding and landslides in the area. Most of Interstate 40 has reopened in McDowell County. One lane remains closed but the Department of Transportation says the lane should be open by Friday afternoon.
"We are deeply saddened to learn that this storm has liklely claimed two more lives," says NC Governor Roy Cooper. "Our thoughts are with the victims' family and friends, and with the resuce crews working tirelessly at the scene of the tragedy and elsewhere across the state." The governor declared a state of emergency in some mountain counties. Cooper will visit affected areas in Polk, Rutherford and McDowell counties on Thursday afternoon.