Panthers win their first preseason game, Wake Forest's QB is out indefinitely and Bubba Wallace is staying with 23XI
Football is back! Carolina Panthers quarterbacks Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold both had their moments in Saturday’s preseason game against the Washington Commanders, Wake Forest’s quarterback is out indefinitely with an injury. With WFAE's Gwendolyn Glenn to talk sports is Langston Wertz Jr., a sportswriter with the Charlotte Observer.
Baker Mayfield started but Sam Darnold threw the Panthers' only touchdown pass of the game. The Carolina Panthers came out on top against the Washington Commanders on Saturday, with a final score of 23-21. Neither of the two contenders for starting quarterback delivered a decisive performance, said Wertz Jr.
"Baker Mayfield played about twice as many snaps as Sam Darnold, but PJ Walker got more passing yards than anybody and more snaps than Matt Corrall. Mayfield did bobble a snap, which cost some points, ended up with a field goal, but he showed off his arm strength on a field goal-scoring drive," he said. "Darnold had a pretty touchdown pass to Rashard Higgins. Corrall struggled — he's one for nine for 11 yards, but he did lead the Panthers on the game winning drive, although as you probably know, it was aided by a couple of penalties."
You can listen to the full Time Out for Sports conversation above. Here’s a quick look at what else Glenn and Wertz Jr. covered this week.
- Union County native and UNC star Sam Howell's performance playing for the Washington Commanders.
- Wake Forest football head coach Dave Clawson says quarterback Charlotte native Sam Hartman is out indefinitely with a publicly unknown injury.
- More HBCU athletics coverage at McClatchy papers like the Charlotte Observer and the Raleigh News & Observer.
- Bubba Wallace signs a contract to keep driving for Michael Jordan’s and Denny Hamlin’s 23XI NASCAR team.
- High school football is back this week.