CorneliusNews.net: Fireworks Cause Condo Fire Sunday, Man Charged
A 35-year-old Cornelius man faces charges after fireworks he was setting off caused a fire that burned a condominium Sunday night in the Wood Duck Cove subdivision, off N.C. 73 in Cornelius. No one was injured in the fire.The man, who lives in another unit in the complex, was setting off fireworks when a stray spark lodged in a cedar shrub near the exterior of the building, at 7610 Woods Lane, Mecklenburg Chief Fire Marshal Mark Auten said. The shrub caught fire and the flames traveled up the side of the wood-frame building to the attic. Cornelius and Huntersville fire departments responded to the call just before 10 p.m. Sunday night and arrived to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the second floor and the exterior of the building, which houses four units, Fire Marshal Auten said. Crews went to the second floor and gained control of the blaze within 15 minutes. The fire caused heavy damage to the right, second-floor unit, the fire marshal said, and the first-floor unit below sustained mild to moderate water damage. The other two units in the building are still habitable, he said. The residents of the burned unit were away on vacation at the time. Area fire departments responded to more than a dozen fireworks-related incidents over the holiday weekend, but "this was the biggest fire we had in the north end," Fire Marshal Auten said.