Charlotte Charter Removed Principal Amid Financial Problems
A Charlotte charter school has removed its founder and principal as the school struggles with low enrollment and significant financial shortfalls.
The board at Entrepreneur High School removed Hans Plotseneder as the school’s leader on Christmas Eve, according to documents from the state Department of Public Instruction.
Entrepreneur High opened in August and has been on probation with the state charter school office since September.
The school projected enrollment of 180 students, and was funded based on that count. Last week, the state was told 49 students enrolled but a headcount showed only 31 students in classrooms. Charter schools are required to have at least 65 students.
The state’s charter school advisory board is discussing the school’s situation Monday morning.
Alexis Schauss, director of school business for the N.C. Department of Public Instruction, told the board that Entrepreneur High is unlikely to make it through the year without a significant infusion of cash from an outside source.
"The ship is clearly not right at this point,” board chairman Robert Hillman said. "Something needs to be done."