Here's Where To Turn For Help With Affordable Housing In Charlotte

Oct 14, 2019

Charlotte is facing an affordable housing crisis. Both the city and Mecklenburg County are growing, and as more people move in, the housing supply is dwindling. Lower-income families are hit the hardest.

Every week in 2019, WFAE is covering the affordable housing crisis with our series Finding Home.

Are you struggling to find affordable housing or are you at risk of being homeless? Here are some resources, including several that have been detailed Finding Home.

Did we miss something? Email and let us know.

Charlotte Housing Authority
Charlotte Housing Authority helps provide affordable housing to low- and moderate-income families. It also manages the federal Section 8 housing voucher program in Mecklenburg County. or 704-336-5183

Crisis Assistance Ministry
Crisis Assistance Ministry helps people in financial crisis build self-sufficiency, including help with rent or utility payments. or 704-371-3001

NC 2-1-1
NC 2-1-1 can offer help to people who are homeless or will become homeless within two weeks.

Legal Aid of North Carolina
Legal Aid can help tenants facing eviction with court proceedings. or 866-219-5262.

The Relatives
The Relatives works with young adults struggling to obtain sustainable housing. or 704-377-0602.

Charlotte Family Housing
Charlotte Family Housing is a shelter-to-housing program for homeless families. or 704-335-5488.

Safe Home Emergency Repair
The Safe Home Emergency Repair program can provide homeowners with a grant to fix issues that impact health and safety. 704-336-7844.

House Charlotte Down Payment Assistance
Deferred forgivable loans for low- to moderate-income families looking to buy a home in Charlotte city limits may be available. 704-705-3999.

SocialServe helps renters find affordable places to live. or 704-334-8722.

Salvation Army Center Of Hope
The Center of Hope is an emergency shelter for women and children. or 704-348-2560.

Men's Shelter Of Charlotte/Urban Ministry Center
The two organizations are merging. They can help provide emergency shelter, help getting employment and housing. or 704-334-3187, or 704-347-0278.

Pet Education Assistance & Resources (PEAR)
PEAR can help people struggling to keep their pets by providing foster families. or 704-461-3300.