Updated Oct. 15, 2018
Charlotte's second annual Black Restaurant Week kicks off Sunday, ushering in a week of deals and specials at some of Charlotte's local, black-owned restaurants.
The event is hosted by the Black Business Owners of Charlotte (BBOC), an organization dedicated to supporting Charlotte's black entrepreneurs.
This year's 17 participating restaurants are serving up a range of tastes and flavors, everything from soul food, to Carribean fare, to vegetarian and vegan delights, to speciality desserts.
The founder of Black Business Owners of Charlotte, Cathay Dawkins, stopped by WFAE's studios to talk about the event and why it was created.
Mark Your Calendar:
- The Reveal Party - The BBOC will reveal the list of this year's participating restaurants, alongside complimentary samples from select participating restaurants at the North Carolina Music Factory's Factory Cafe. Sunday, Oct. 14, 5 p.m.
- Black Restaurant Week - Enjoy $10 or $20 meals at participating restaurants, or $50 for two meals at select restaurants. Monday - Sunday, Oct. 15-21.
- Black Food Truck Friday - Taste an array of cuisines ranging from seafood, to soul food, to specialty desserts all served from food trucks outside the Harvey B. Gantt Center in uptown. Then, browse the Gantt Center's exhibitions and watch live chef demos and a chef competition. Friday, Oct. 19, 2 - 10 p.m.
- The Dining Experience, Harlem Renaissance Style - Dinner-goers enjoy a three-course meal and dancing at a Harlem Renaissance-themed dinner party. Admission required. Saturday, Oct. 20, 5 p.m.
- 2Fish5Loaves Charity Event - Volunteers will provide meals to Charlotteans-in-need outside the Hal Marshall Building in uptown. Sunday, Oct. 21, 9 a.m.
2018's Participating Restaurants:
- Cuzzo's Cuisine (3418 Tuckaseegee Rd.)
- The Belle Grille (3022 Weddington Rd. #100, Matthews)
- Seafood Connection Charlotte (630 University Center Blvd.)
- E.R.D's California Style Soulfood (8432 Old Statesville Rd.)
- La'Wan's Soulfood Restaurant (7520 S Tryon St. #19)
- The Nappy Chef (5933 Albemarle Rd.)
- Mangos Caribbean (3112 N Davidson St.)
- Veltree-Vegan Soulfood (7945 N Tryon St. #110)
- 7th Restaurant & Lounge (321 N Caldwell St. #100)
- STATS Restaurant & Bar (3425 David Cox Rd.)
- Dog House Bar & Grill (7200 Albemarle Rd.)
- Mama's Caribbean Grill & Bar (1504 Central Ave.)
- Red@28 (9539 Pinnacle Dr. #203)
- Jazzy Cheesecakes (9402 Northlake W Dr. #102)
- Recess Charlotte (832 Seigle Ave.)
- The Factory Cafe Charlotte (1000 North Carolina Music Factory Blvd.)
- The Cupcake Queen (201 W South Main St. Waxhaw)