Assistant News Director
Make an impact on the community. Work with a team of smart, collaborative colleagues.
WFAE, an award-winning NPR station serving the Charlotte region for more than 35 years, seeks an assistant news director to help lead our newsroom. You will be working with a team of journalists and other media professionals who are passionate about creating journalism that informs, enriches and inspires our local community. We are small but innovative newsroom, constantly seeking new ways to serve and engage our community. We work hard, have lots of fun and support each other in reaching our goals.
The successful candidate will be someone who embraces change, growth and innovation in how a public media organization serves its perse audiences on digital and radio platforms. This role is responsible for working with the news director and digital editor to coordinate daily coverage and assist in the editing of spot news, newscasts, web posts and long-form features. The person in this editing role must be able to shape pieces that are exceptionally written and well-produced. Candidates must also be comfortable working with a variety of editing and publishing tools, and across media platforms. We are a small newsroom, as such the assistant news director will be required to occasionally report and write articles on deadline.
The assistant news director will report to the news director. Occasional weekend and evening work is expected. This job is based in Charlotte, N.C.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience
- Strong news judgment
- Strong writing, editing and communication skills
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Assistant News Director as the subject line of your email. Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter in order for us to consider your application.
WFAE is a fast-paced public radio station offering an exciting and creative work environment. We look for ambitious and dedicated people ready for challenges. We offer a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
Across WFAE, we strive to:
- Exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust.
- Serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence.
- Be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public.
- Succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration.
- Include perse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work.
- Value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor.
- Be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission.
- Enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.