© 2021 WFAE
90.7 Charlotte 93.7 Southern Pines 90.3 Hickory 106.1 Laurinburg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Charlotte Area

Borum Pleads Not Guilty in Uptown Fatal Shooting of Protester

Carr_Borum_0.jpg
Facebook_JustinCarr/Mecklenburg County
/

The man accused of shooting and killing a protester in uptown Charlotte after last year's police shooting of Keith Scott pleaded not guilty Thursday to first-degree murder.

In doing so, Rayquan Borum rejected a plea-bargain in the death of Justin Carr.

Borum's attorney, Terry Sherrill, says his client would have served 16 years in prison if he accepted the deal that would have required him to plead guilty to two charges: Second-degree murder, and possession of a firearm by a felon.

Sherrill said his client did fire a gun outside the Omni Hotel, but did not intend to kill or harm anyone.

"He confessed to shooting the gun, and all of that. He did. He had a gun with him. He shouldn’t have had the gun with him. He confessed to shooting the gun. He didn’t confess with intent to kill Mr. Carr (or) even injure Mr. Carr."

SD081717.mp3
WFAE's Sarah Delia discusses what happened during the arraignment of Rayquan Borum.
terry_sherrill.jpg
Rayquan Borum's laywer Terry Sherrill.

But Sherrill said there's no video or testimony "to my knowledge at this time that says he pointed a gun and intentionally shot and killed Mr. Carr."

Borum has been jailed since September. Sherrill says he expects a trial date for sometime in 2018.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.