305 Shootings Into Occupied Dwellings Prompt CMPD Response
There have been 305 shootings into occupied dwellings in Charlotte this year alone. In response, CMPD has formed a task force.
During a press conference Wednesday, the first thing Sgt. Steve Fischbach did was show pictures of shell casings from a shooting in west Charlotte on July 4.
“Sixty fired shell casings. We’re not talking about Beirut. We’re not talking about a third-world country. We’re talking about Charlotte, N.C.”
Two homes were fired into. No one died; two people were shot, though.
When shootings occur, neighbors and victims are often silent, Fischbach says.
“The people who aren’t involved whatsoever and that have really good intentions and want to work with us, they’re too afraid to do so."
CMPD formed the task force two weeks ago. It includes the district attorney and U.S. attorney’s office.
Fischbach says the combined intelligence of the agencies has so far resulted in nine arrests and the seizure of seven guns.
Fischbach says to have more success, police need intelligence from communities. He encouraged people to call Crime Stoppers, which has doubled its reward to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests of people who shoot into occupied dwellings, which also includes business and vehicles.