It may not be ‘soup’ weather but we’re not letting that stop us from exploring this tasty comfort food. This month's Charlotte Talks’ food show dove in with a full hour on soup – from understanding the process behind the most basic stocks and broths to more complex flavors and combinations.
Recipes for Shrimp Bisque with rice and 5 spice Butternut Squash Soup
Recipes from Jennifer Gallagher, Assistant Professor at Johnson & Wales University Charlotte.
Shrimp Bisque with rice
Yield 2 quarts
- 1 1/4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined – reserve shells
- 2 oz clarified butter
- 12 oz onion, brunoise
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 oz brandy
- 1.5 cups rice
- 2.5 quart fish stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 oz dry sherry
- Tabasco sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Old Bay Seafood Seasoning, use sparingly
1. In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté shrimp shells in butter until color changes.2. Add onion, cooking until tender.
3. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
4. Add the paprika, cooking to dissolve and develop color and flavor, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add tomato paste and pince.
6. Deglaze pan with the brandy, removing the pan from the flame before adding.
7. Add rice
8. Add fish simmer for 40 minutes or until flavor developsThis is now shrimp stock!
9. Puree with immersion blender
10. Return to heat for 20 minutes
11. Strain the shell mixture through a fine mesh basket strainer.
12. Strain the stock a second time thorough a chinois mousseline. Wipe all shell residue out of the stockpot before adding the strained stock.
13. Bring the stock back to a simmer.
14. Sauté shrimp in butter and add all but 5 of them back to the soup, reserve 5 shrimp for garnish
15. Remove the soup from heat and puree with an immersion blender.
16. Return soup to heat and add heavy cream, sherry, sauces and seasoning to taste, stirring to mix well. Add more cream to adjust consistency if necessary.
17. Dice reserved 5 shrimp for garnish.
5 spice Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice (1/2” cubes)
- 1 medium leek, chopped white parts only,medium dice (1/2” cubes)
- 1 each carrots, peeled, medium dice (1/2” cubes)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, medium dice (1/2” cubes)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, medium dice (1/2” cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ TBSP Chinese 5-spice powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.2. Toss carrots, squash and sweet potato in olive oil and toss, lay on sheet pan in one layer.
3. Roast until tender.
4. Add onions and leeks, toss to coat with oil and continue to roast until all vegetables are soft.
5. Place roasted vegetables, stock and spices into stock pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Puree the soup in a countertop blender or with an immersion blender until it is completely smooth.
7. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Soup can be finished with either heavy cream or almond milk.