© 2021 WFAE
90.7 Charlotte 93.7 Southern Pines 90.3 Hickory 106.1 Laurinburg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Charlotte Area News

Anticom Calls Off Charlotte Rally, Citing Safety

Anticom's banner photo on their Twitter account
via Twitter
/
Anticom's banner photo on their Twitter account

A group that expresses white supremacist and neo-Nazi sentiments has called off a march planned for Charlotte in December.  

Anticom, which purports to be an anti-communist association, announced the cancellation in a tweet that said: "In light of safety concerns, we'll no longer be holding an event in Marshall Park. This was agreed upon by both organizers and guests." 

One of those guests was to be white nationalist leader Richard Spencer, editor of the website AltRight.com. But Spencer pulled out earlier this week. In a series of tweets, Spencer said he informed organizers of his decision on Monday, saying, "I can handle my own security. I worry about the safety of others in an open-field situation." 

Spencer said he had agreed to speak when the event was planned for a hotel. He said the situation changed when organizers decided to move it to Marshall Park uptown. 

The group had announced plans to hold a torchlight rally in Charlotte on December 28. It was expected to be similar to the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville in August, which turned violent. Some supporters at that rally wore body armor and openly carried rifled and assault-style guns. 

People have raised concerns that Charlotte could see the same kind of event. Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department said Wednesday the city has received hundreds of calls opposing the planned rally. 

As of Thursday, CMPD had not received any requests for a permit. No permit would be needed for a rally in the park. But a permit would be needed if the event required closing streets or used amplification.