Sunday News Headlines: Weekend Fatalities On Charlotte Roads, CATS Testing Blue Line Extension
Police Investigate Three Weekend Deaths On Charlotte Roads
Police say a man was killed in one-car crash that was reported shortly after 1:00 a.m. Sunday on Billy Graham Parkway near Westmont Drive. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police identified the victim as Crawford Junior Deveaux, 42. According to police, he was not wearing a seat belt and was apparently thrown from the vehicle, which struck a tree. Investigators say speed was a factor in the crash.
- Police say a man in a wheelchair was killed early Saturday when he was hit by a car while apparently trying to cross West Sugar Creek Road. Police responded to that call at about 12:40 a.m. In a release, CMPD said Dandy Eugene Duncan, 46, was not in a marked crosswalk when he was struck and was wearing dark clothing. Police also said the wheelchair was not equipped with reflectors. Police were searching for the driver, who didn’t stop at the scene of the collision. CMPD did not identify a make or model of the vehicle.
-Also early Saturday, a pedestrian was killed in the 3800 block of Billy Graham Parkway. Police said the person was not in a crosswalk, and was struck by two vehicles at the intersection of Morris Field Drive. According to CMPD, the driver of the first vehicle told police that the pedestrian ran into the path of his car. Police were searching this weekend for the driver of the second vehicle, a light colored Cadillac, which left the scene. Police were withholding the pedestrian’s name pending notification of relatives.
CATS Doing Sunday Test Runs On Blue Line Extension Route
If you're driving along the route of Charlotte’s LYNX Blue Line Extension on Sunday, you’ll likely see light rail trains on the tracks. Charlotte Area Transit said all-day testing was planned along the 9-mile extension route from Uptown to the UNC Charlotte campus. Transit officials asked motorists to be alert around crossings. Service on the Blue Line Extension is scheduled to begin in March, 2018.
Earnhardt Jr. May Write Book About Concussions
NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. says he’s interested in writing a book about his recovery from multiple concussions. Earnhardt has four races left before he retires from full-time competition. He missed the second half of last season because of concussion symptoms. Earnhardt said his main interesting in writing about his experience would be to help other people who have suffered head injuries. Charlotte Motor Speedway earlier this month donated $100,00 to establish the Dale Earnhardt Jr. Concussion Research Fund at Levine Children's Hospital, part of Carolinas Healthcare System.