Democrat Dan McCready has officially withdrawn his concession to Republican Mark Harris in the 9th District Congressional race, citing allegations of ballot fraud.
“Last week we began to learn about shameful criminal activity, bankrolled by my opponent to take away North Carolinian’s very rights to vote,” McCready said to voters on Twitter. “I didn’t serve overseas to come back home and watch politicians and career criminals attack our democracy.”
“That’s why today I withdraw my concession to Mark Harris, who’s remained completely silent and I call on Mark Harris to tell us exactly what he knew and when he knew it,” McCready said.
Unofficial results showed that McCready lost the race by 905 votes.
I didn’t serve overseas in the Marines to come home to NC and watch a criminal, bankrolled by my opponent, take away people’s very right to vote. Today I withdraw my concession and call on Mark Harris to end his silence and tell us exactly what he knew, and when. pic.twitter.com/2hcT00DVhQ
— Dan McCready for NC (@McCreadyForNC) December 6, 2018
The State Board of Elections has refused to certify the race and is investigating potential fraud involving absentee-by-mail ballots in parts of the district, mainly Robeson and Bladen Counties.
Voters in Bladen County have said in sworn affidavits that supporters with the Harris campaign knocked on their doors, urging them to vote for the Republican candidate. One woman said a female supporter offered to take the ballot to the county board for her.
While volunteers can encourage people to vote by mail, they aren’t allowed to turn it in for them.
Investigators also seized mail-in ballot requests from Robeson County, where Democrats ran an aggressive vote-by-mail campaign.