© 2021 WFAE
90.7 Charlotte 93.7 Southern Pines 90.3 Hickory 106.1 Laurinburg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Charlotte Area News

Homicide Total Grows By 2 In Last 24 Hours, Now Stands At 106 For 2019

police tape

Updated 11:45 a.m. Monday

Charlotte added two more victims to its homicide total in 24 hours this weekend. Police say a 56-year-old man was intentionally struck by a vehicle Friday afternoon in a Steele Creek shopping center and a 43-year-old man was shot during an argument Saturday morning in Ballantyne.


Charlotte has now had 106 homicides in 2019, the deadliest year since 1993, when there were 129 killings.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said Robert Michael Hopkins was walking near South Tryon Street and Ayrsley Town Boulevard about 3 p.m. Friday when he was intentionally struck by a driver. Hopkins was taken to Atrium Health's Carolinas Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

On Monday, CMPD announced they'd charged 24-year-old Christopher Chisholm with murder in the slaying.

Police say Chisholm was on pre-trial release on felony charges at the time of the fatal incident and had cut off his court-ordered electronic monitor.

Chisholm was captured Sunday after police saw the car used in the homicide and tried to stop it. There was a brief chase that ended on Park Fairfax Drive when three people ran out of the car. Two of them, including Chisholm, were caught, and police say they found stolen items and guns in the car. The second person was not charged in connection with the homicide.

In the second case, at 6:48 a.m. Saturday, William Johnston died of multiple gunshot wounds in what police say was a domestic incident in the 15000 block of Capricorn Lane. Dispatchers on the 911 call heard what appeared to be arguments and shots fired, and Johnston was pronounced dead when police arrived at the scene.

Police charged a 15-year-old boy with murder in the case. His name is not being released due to his age. Police said the teenager was on scene when officers arrived and that he was arrested after talking to detectives.