SouthBound Replay: Andre Leon Talley on Fashion, Glamor, And Preserving His Childhood Home
Here’s a holiday gift from us here at SouthBound: a replay of our 2018 interview with fashion icon Andre Leon Talley.
Talley grew up in Durham, North Carolina, and from the time he was a child he was obsessed with the world of fashion. It baffled his schoolmates and many of his family members, but he persisted, and made his way into Andy Warhol’s inner circle and onto the pages of Vogue as its editor-at-large.
I thought of him as we were thinking about what episode to run here on Christmas Day. One of the things I think about, when I think about the holidays, is how they draw many of us back home, and conjure up memories of how we grew up. Those memories are still a powerful thing for Andre Leon Talley, and that childhood home still matters a great deal to him. As you’ll discover.
Let's keep the conversation going. Who do you want to hear from next on the SouthBound podcast?
- Trailer to the documentary "The Gospel According To Andre"
- The Oscar de la Renta exhibit Talley curated at the Mint Museum in Charlotte
- A great Vanity Fair profile of Talley from 2013
- A gallery of photos from the night Talley danced with Diana Ross at Studio 54 -- and remember, she didn't fall, he DIPPED her
Music From This Episode:
- French Provincial - Henry Mancini & His Orchestra
- One Size Fits All - Leggo Beast
- Another Term For - Miwon
New episodes of SouthBound come out every other Wednesday. Subscribe: