Heavy Rain Closes Roads In Charlotte Area
Several roads in Cabarrus, Mecklenburg, Stanly and Union counties are closed because of standing water from heavy rains.
At this time, the following state-maintained roads are closed:
- Stallings Road in Cabarrus County;
- Hopewell Church Road in Cabarrus County;
- Bethel Avenue Extension in Cabarrus County;
- Pine Bluff Road in Cabarrus County;
- University City Boulevard from Ikea Boulevard to North Tryon Street/U.S. 29 in Mecklenburg County;
- Gaddis Road in Stanly County;
- Booger Hollar Road in Stanly County;
- Bridgeport Road in Stanly County;
- Old Mill Road in Stanly County;
- Flint Ridge Road in Stanly County;
- Gold Branch Road in Stanly County;
- Sides Road in Stanly County;
- Old Cottonville Road, near Allen-Lee Road in Stanly County;
- Stacks Road in Union County;
- Hamilton Crossroads in Union County; and
- Ansonville Road in Union County.
In addition, one lane of Clodfelter Road in Stanly County is closed because of flooding.
NCDOT will re-open the roads as soon as flooding conditions subside. Do not drive through flooded areas. If you see a flooded roadway ahead, turn around and take an alternate route to your destination. If there is no alternate route, head to higher ground and wait for the water to subside.
Do not attempt to cross over a flooded road, even if it seems shallow. Just one foot of water can float many vehicles, while two feet of rushing water can carry away vehicles including SUVs and pick-up trucks.
Real-time information about weather events and current road conditions in the greater Charlotte area can be found here.